North Charleston, South Carolina (WCBD) – Charleston Animal Society veterinarians worked to save a cat who swallowed 38 hair ties.
A cat named Juliet was brought to the Charleston Animal Society along with two other cats by Good Samaritan after it was discovered that the animal had been abandoned outside the home when the family left the state. I was brought.
Animal society leaders said that Juliet seemed fine at first, but after a few weeks, Juliet stopped eating and became lethargic.
X-rays revealed that the cat had an abnormal blockage in its stomach that would die if not removed.
Dr. Leigh Jamison, Associate Director of Veterinary Care at the Charleston Animal Society, and her team discovered what they called a “seemingly endless bundle of threads” that kept coming out of Juliette during surgery.
“I’ve never seen anything like it,” Dr. Jamison said.
Once removed, the surgical team counted over three dozen hair ties that blocked the cat’s stomach and prevented him from eating or processing food.
The veterinarian said there was no damage to the cat’s intestines. However, the accumulation of fat in her liver caused a serious health condition that she is currently undergoing treatment for.
“When you feed her, you have to make sure the electrolytes are kept in balance,” said Dr. Jamison.
Juliet is not out of the woods yet, but her veterinarian says her health is improving. Remind the owner of what not to do.