Which B12 Supplement Is Best For You?
One of the most important vitamins for your health is B12, but the human body cannot produce it. In an ideal world, you should get all the B12 you need from a balanced diet. However, this may be easier said than done.
If you suspect your body is deficient in B12, it may be time to consider a supplement. The best is New Chapter Fermented Vitamin B12, an organic option designed for fast absorption.
Who Should Take B12 Supplements
People experiencing symptoms of B12 deficiency should consider taking supplements.Symptoms of B12 deficiency include depression and irritability, yellow skin, mouth sores, and a “pins and needles” sensation in the hands and feet. , blurred vision, dizziness, muscle weakness, etc.
In addition to those actively experiencing a deficiency, people in the deficiency-prone group may want to take them prophylactically.
- Vegan: Animal sources are the most important source of vitamin B12 in our diet. Vegans are therefore particularly at risk of becoming deficient.
- People with digestive problems: People with Crohn’s disease, pernicious anemia, and celiac disease may struggle to absorb enough B12 from their diet.
- Over 50: As we age, hydrochloric acid levels tend to decline, so our bodies become less efficient at breaking down and absorbing B12 from the foods we eat.
Benefits of Taking B12 Supplements
The benefits of taking B12 supplements are far-reaching.
- Supports bone health Helps prevent the development of osteoporosis.
- May reduce the risk of macular degeneration.
- It plays a role in preventing serious birth defects.
- Helps form red blood cells.
- May improve mood and increase energy levels.
- May reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Supports skin, nail and hair health.
Things to Know Before Buying B12 Supplements
Type of B12
There are four types of B12 commonly used in supplements.
- methylcobalamin, It is the naturally occurring form and the most active in the body, so it is often included in high quality supplements.
- Cyanocobalamin It is a more cost-effective and more stable synthetic form and is often found in budget-friendly supplements. , there are conflicting studies.
- Hydroxycobalamin is the most commonly found B12 in food sources but the least common in oral supplements. It is easily absorbed by the body and is commonly used for B12 injections.
- Adenosylcobalamin It’s less stable than the other three, but it’s vegan because it’s derived from algae.
B12 Supplement Forms
Oral B12 supplements come in tablets, chews, lozenges, and sprays. Many experts recommend not using tablets as they take the longest to digest and enter the bloodstream. There are no definitive studies showing that it provides any benefit, so the decision is left to your taste.
If you prefer not to take it orally, you can find B12 supplements such as transdermal creams and patches, nasal sprays and gels. These have been shown to be just as effective as oral supplements. The best idea is to choose the form of B12 supplement that you find easiest to incorporate into your lifestyle.
How Much You Can Expect from a B12 Supplement
The cost varies depending on the type and shape. Most high quality gummies, tablets and sublingual melts are $10-20. Creams, patches and liquid drops are a little more expensive, usually $20 to $30.
B12 Supplements FAQ
Should Everyone Take B12 Supplements?
A. People who eat a balanced diet and have no problem absorbing B12 from food do not need to take B12 supplements. People experiencing B12 deficiency, or those in high-risk groups, should consult their doctor to see if a B12 supplement is recommended.
Are there any side effects of B12 supplements?
A. Oral and topical B12 supplements are considered safe for most people and rarely cause side effects when taken as directed. You may experience vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, fatigue, and tingling in your hands and feet.
Do B12 Supplements Interact With Other Medications?
A. Some drugs can interfere with the body’s ability to absorb B12. These include metformin, prilosec and prevacid. Always check with your doctor before taking any new supplement to make sure it is safe to use with the medications you are taking.
What are the best B12 supplements to buy?
Top B12 Supplements
New Chapter Fermented Vitamin B Complex
Things to know: This kosher-certified vegetarian supplement contains both methylcobalamin and cyanocobalamin to ensure maximum absorption.
What You’ll Love: it has A blend of herbs to enhance absorption and boost energy levels.
Things to consider: Dosage is not very high.
Where to buy: sold by amazon
top b12 supplements for your money
Jarrow Formulas Methyl B12 Lozenges
Things to know: These powerful lozenges have a delicious cherry flavor and can be chewed and melted.
What You’ll Love: Gluten free and vegan friendly.
Things to consider: It may be excessive for those who are not deficient.
Where to buy: Sold by Amazon and iHerb
worth checking out
Garden of Life MyKind Organics B12 Spray
Things to know: Perfect for those who have trouble swallowing pills, this B12 spray is easy to absorb and contains a healthy blend of superfoods.
What You’ll Love: Contains no synthetic ingredients or genetically modified organisms.
Things to consider: It can become stale if not stored properly.
Where to buy: Sold by Amazon and iHerb
Want to buy the best products at the best prices? Check out daily deals from BestReviews.
Sign up here to receive BestReviews weekly newsletter with helpful advice on new products and noteworthy deals.
Brett Dvoretz writes for BestReviews. BestReviews has helped millions of consumers simplify their purchasing decisions, saving them time and money.
Copyright 2023 BestReviews, a Nexstar company. all rights reserved.