Charleston, South Carolina – The cat died after veterinarians performed a delicate operation to remove 38 hair tufts from its stomach.
The Charleston Animal Society posted about the tragedy on its Instagram page.
Society somehow said that Juliet the cat swallowed the barrette. Her health was up and down as she was in good shape and had to be fed from her feeding tube.
Related: 13 bison die near Yellowstone Park after trucker attacks herd
The hair knot caused a blockage in her liver.
The cat, along with two other cats, were brought to the shelter by a good Samaritan, according to the association. Rescuers told the shelter that the cat was abandoned outside their home when the family moved out of state.
The veterinarian said Juliet seemed fine at first, but after a few weeks she stopped eating and became lethargic.
X-rays later revealed an abnormal blockage in his stomach that would be fatal if not removed.
“Our professional veterinarians and life-saving teams perform what we consider miracles every day,” the association posted. will not succeed.”
This story was reported from Los Angeles.